With the great weather in April and hopefully in May, spring hiking is off to a great start. Here are some tips for you to enjoy while hiking in Ingonish at Cape Smokey Provincial park and Cape Breton Highlands National Park :
1) spring hiking usually means wet trails so wear waterproof hiking boots and take gaiters with you & extra pair of socks – smart wool.
2) invest in a pair of hiking poles ( trekking or nordic). They are invaluable for balance – crossing difficult areas – water, streams, windfalls etc, for safety and making hiking easier on your knees and body. (see video )
3) never hike alone
4) wear layers and take extra clothes…spring hiking can be cold…
5) take a daypack and take extra water and food with you. you will need it.
6) Tell somebody where you are going and approximate time you will be returning..
7) Nova Scotia requires you to have a compass and matches with you when entering the woods. Recommend taking a topo map as well a cellphone with you.
Take a camera with you …never know when a great picture might be just around the corner.
In closing, hike smart…..and enjoy the great outdoors…